New headquarters of the Silesian Museum is a complex of modern and revitalized buildings erected on the site of a former coal mine. The main building of the museum is almost completely hidden underground. All that is visible outside are the glazed bodies of the administrative and exhibition buildings and six glass cubicles, which illuminate the underground exhibitions. Permanent exhibitions include the following galleries: Polish Art 1800-1945 and After 1945, a stage design exhibition, non-professional art, Silesian sacred art and an exhibition on the history of Upper Silesia. Underground there is also a garage, an auditorium, a library, and educational rooms. The complex of buildings also includes revitalized historic post-mining buildings from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. The buildings were adapted, among others, into a two-storey restaurant, the seat of the Centre for Polish Scenography. Exhibition and concert halls. A unique attraction of the Silesian Museum is the 40-meter tower of the mine shaft, to which a panoramic elevator has been added.
Why is this site considered accessible?
There is no thresholds in the building, doors are wide, in the lifts voice announcements are implemented as well as convex markings in braille alphabet; the restrooms are adjusted for disabled people; possibility of renting a wheelchair. In the institution the are also provided: seating areas in exhibitions, a wheelchair ramp leading to the stage in the auditorium and a mobile ramp in other rooms, parking lots have adjusted spaces. The museum also offers: guide lines, Braille signs (at elevators and entrances), convex plans and catalogs of works, leaflets in Braille and magnified print, a 3D mock-up of the tower, typhlographics of paintings, selected sculptures are made accessible to touch, recorded audiodescription of paintings and sculptures, adaptation of printed materials for the visually impaired, subtitled films, permanent and portable induction loops, permanent cooperation with Polish Sign Language interpreters, the museum employs a deaf educator, offer of tours and events in Polish Sign Language or translated into it, research programme on Deaf art and culture, quiet zone with noise-cancelling headphones, baby-sitting room, sensory facilities for workshops for people on the autism spectrum, educational offer for people with different needs, including people on the autism spectrum; guided tours with the use of audio-description and adapted to the needs of people with intellectual disabilities – free of charge for people with disabilities; continuous staff training on services for people with disabilities, workshops on audio-description and Polish Sign Language; participation in Erasmus + projects and others.
Address: T. Dobrowolskiego 1
Postcode: 40-205 Katowice
Telephone: +48 32 77 99 300
Email: [email protected]